Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Cheese Daisies

Cheese Daisies are basically Cheese biscuits/cheese straws/buttery cheesy goodness.
(Ok, Ok, I know that we are probably all a little tired of junk food, but file this away for next Christmas!)
If you're like me, cheese biscuits have seemed intimidating to make.
I have no idea why (they are butter+cheese+flour) but never the less, I've always viewed them as complicated.  This year for my holiday baking, I opted to revisit my pistachio cookies (they are so chewy and pistachio-y) and to try my hand at these daisies!
This recipe is from K's Grammy.  (I altered it just a bit by using real butter and different seasonings.)

What you need:

3/4 butter
1 1/2 cups finely grated sharp cheddar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic salt 

What you do:

Cream butter and cheese (it's easier if they are both at room temp)
Add flour and seasonings.
Form into small balls and bake at 350 for around 10 minutes.

Ok, so let's talk about trial and error!
First batch is pictured on the right.  They melted into greasy baked cheese.
Cheese meltaways, if you will. 
So I added a little more flour,
 and you can see from the results on the left that they turned out much better!
 Third time's a charm: I used a fork to mash the dough balls, leaving them with a little bit of a madeleine look.
They tasted delicious! I will certainly add this to my holiday baking for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me love, Show me Life