Tuesday, March 11, 2014

bbq shrimp and grits

I first tried BBQ shrimp and grits at the Crab House on Wappoo Creek and it was delicious! While I had initially planned on picking up a rotisserie chicken last night, the gorgeous afternoon made me feel like cooking up something new! This was simple and very tasty.
There are so many different ways that you can approach this meal. I saw recipes using pre-made sauce, and some with home-made sauce. I'll share my recipe below!

What I used:

Grits (1/4 cup dry) 
Milk and Water for cooking grits  (1 cup water/1 cup milk)
1 cup cheddar cheese
salt and butter to taste
Shrimp
Kraft Recipe Makers Hickory BBQ Beef
*I had picked this up to do pulled pork in the crock pot, but decided to experiment with it.  It comes with a brown sugar and cider vinegar simmer sauce, and a Sweet bbq finishing sauce.

What I did:

I sauteed my shrimp with some butter for few minutes and then added the simmer sauce.
I let that simmer for another 7 minutes as I started the grits.
I used half milk, half water to cook my grits, and salt of course.
Once cooked I added a small pat of butter and 1/4 cup of cheddar to my Grits.
I added the BBQ finishing sauce to the skillet of shrimp.
I topped the grits with the bbq shrimp and a sprinkle of cheddar.
Bacon would also go very nicely on top :)
Add a side salad and you are good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me love, Show me Life