Thursday, February 19, 2015

Mars and Venus: Life Lessons from The Bachelor

On Sunday night we watched the SNL 40 Reunion, and so I was sure to record the first segment of the epic "2 night Bachelor Event".  This meant that on Monday I was able to indulge in 4 hours of guilty pleasure television!!  As you can imagine, my husband was thrilled.
He reluctantly watched around 15 minutes with me and it was an educational experience.
--
Before the elimination ceremony, one of the ladies divulges privately to the camera that she is planning to leave on her own.  
She asks to speak to the Bachelor so she can tell him she's decided to go home.
 Five minutes later, after he walks her out, she appears devastated to be leaving.  
She is filmed sad and crying with fits of  "I just don't understand"...
At this point K says, as genuine and matter of fact as it comes, "Why is she crying when she just said she wanted to leave?"...
And in that sentence: Mars and Venus revealed.

Subconsciously or not, I believe all women expect men to understand that we don't always say what we mean.

And I think (for the most part) men don't understand why we want to read into everything they say.

Without even watching the show, I could explain in detail the reasoning a woman would say she was leaving and the contradict herself immediately by being sad to go.
She didn't really want to leave.
She wanted him to beg her to stay.
Etc Etc Etc.

Without question I can understand K's bewilderment with the same scenario, because: face value.

This isn't rocket science (or is it...mars? venus? ;) ) but I thought it was a straight forward example of the contrast in the ways we see things.
--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me love, Show me Life