Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Den Design Plans

I have all these home posts I want to do, but as I'm sure you can relate, none of the rooms are completely "done" yet.  I've just decided to go ahead and share some of the rooms, with commentary on what I have done and want to do...Be sure to stick around til the end of the post where I share the before photos.
--
Besides the yard, the den space of our home is what sold me.  I loved the french doors and how they open up to the patio, with a view of the palm trees in the yard.  I loved the built-in shelves.  I loved the island and pictured our kids doing their homework there, or eating there as a special weekend treat while watching a movie.

So far, here is what we've done:
First up we painted everything.  This includes the shelves which was a pain in the booty.  Literally, sitting on the floor for hours, painting upside down. Woof.  
We installed pendant lights with a dimmer switch above the island.

What we want to do:
We will change out the globes later when we find something we love, these were a quick Lowe's find. We also plan to replace the countertops with granite in the near future (and long term, perhaps do hardwood throughout).  
Oops, crooked pic!
I am looking to put matching decorative mirrors on either side of the built-in.
Any other ideas?  Perhaps another end table and lamp on the left?
I am back on the estate sale circuit looking for more staffordshire dog statues to add to this bookshelf.  I also would like to find some small coordinating picture frames to fill the bottom shelf with some family photos.
I need some serious shelf-styling help here  The plan is to find a piece of furniture, a hutch or buffet, to put where Alfie and the wine fridge are in this photo.   We will take out the two bottom shelves and make it a dry bar.  As far as the TV section, eventually this area will be really "kid centric"... i.e. more board games, toys, school artwork displayed.  I think it would be really fun to find a few mismatched globes to display on the top shelf...
 --
And last but not least, Before Photos:

It's such a work in progress...but it's definitely a job I enjoy.
Hope you're having a good week!
xLaura


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me love, Show me Life