Friday, January 29, 2016

The Direction of my Blog

I've been thinking a lot lately about the direction of my blog.  And I've been having a difficult time organizing my thoughts on the subject.  But let me try.
I started Hominy Girl 5 years ago.   ^ That's the first picture I posted!
So much has changed for me in those 5 years and lately I've been feeling different about what I'm creating here.
The sole purpose of my blog is to be an outlet for me and I'm not really sure what that looks like at this stage in my life.  
I have faded in and out of wanting to become more involved in the blogging world over the years.
But my priorities have always lay elsewhere than online.
That is not to say I don't treasure this space.  I do and I'm not going anywhere.
I'm just trying to figure it out.

After we returned from St. Barths I started thinking a lot about internet sharing.

My relationship with Facebook has ebbed and flowed throughout the years and I've continually found it confusing. The dual "facebook personalities" of some people I know are enough to make me question the whole thing...I've definitely had some head scratching moments.

As I'm getting older, I'm thinking more and more about my own participation in social media.
At the very core of it all, I don't like the addictive quality to checking Facebook numerous times a day.

I asked K what he thought about Facebook and he said "It's Show and Tell every day".

I believe that the concept of Show and Tell with children is to build confidence and listening skills. I think it also introduces a healthy relationship with competition and materialism. However, I don't know how that translates here in adulthood. Maybe the answer is that it brings us back into a more childish (read: immature) mindset?
I struggle with statements like that, because I know just how hypocritical I can be.  But I do think that.
I do think Facebook is immature!
I also think that for the antisocial it can really provide much needed connections. For those of us not really connecting, simply "lurking", for lack of a better term, the effects are more negative.  
Do you agree? 
For whatever reason, sharing our vacation photos on Facebook made me question what I was doing. It made me think a little different about the motivation and impact of life online.

I feel like I began blogging at a real turning point for everything.    
Back in 2011 there were not many bloggers who were making a living off their blogs, quitting their jobs to take it full time.
And now, I think it's incredible that so many women are making real careers out of sharing their thoughts.
I have no issues with the new direction, I'm along for the ride. Blogs have always inspired me and I continue to look forward to so many different people's posts.

When I started blogging, K and I were a new couple and I was excited to simply share anything and everything about my life in love.
As our relationship has progressed and we have become focused on our future, I have some new thoughts on blogs...
Like blogs with children...

I have read several posts from young mothers regarding the concept of "watermarking" all of their photos for safety and security.  I think this is such an incredibly protective and thoughtful decision. I do think, though, that public blogs would do best to protect their children by simply keeping them offline.

It's amazing to me how technologically savvy children are these days.  It makes me so curious as to what the future holds.  It also makes me nervous.  The internet can be used as a weapon and bloggers are not strangers to cyberbullying.  And I think we may have only touched the tip of the iceberg with all of that.
Time will tell.
My point, though, should I ever actually reach it, is that I worry about a bully finding a mother's blog and using it as ammunition on her child.
 A funny diaper story, a family camping trip, nursery decor...there is no predicting how things could be twisted and used against. I don't know how I will handle this myself, but it's something that I think about.
 
So, you may be wondering, Where is all this coming from?  What's going on?

And that's just the point.
I'm looking to change some things up over here.
I have always enjoyed writing. My college major was English, concentrating in Creative Writing, and it has been a huge part of my life.
I'm planning to start writing more.
This entire post is centered around the concept of online sharing.
Clearly, this is something I like to do.
But I am looking to become more intentional and selective with what I'm sharing here.
I love to express myself and consider this blog to be the perfect avenue for my voice.
I simply plan to make it more authentic to where I am currently in life.

Thanks for reading.
xoxo,
Laura

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely understand your thoughts! You definitely have to find a balance when sharing on social media. I also started blogging in 2011 and can say that my blog has gone through many "seasons" throughout the different phases of my life. What I love, though, is that it's MY blog, so I can take it any direction I want.

    ReplyDelete

Show me love, Show me Life