Wednesday, March 28, 2012

DIY Scalloped Shorts

I think many Southern girls probably covet J Crew anything and everything.  I readily admit that my budget does not allow me their clothes, and it's no matter.  When I saw these babies, I squealed. 
I had to have them, but for $118.00. Ha!
Good thing I'm a crafty one, huh?

Here's what you need:
Fabric Scissors
Fray Check
Shorts (or pants) to cut
Paper
Pen
Tape
Round shaped object to trace (I used a bottle of spray Pam)

What you do:
I started with some goodwill granny pants, in a pretty pink shade.
I put them on, taped a length I liked and cut the legs off.

I then traced half circles using the Pam bottle, one after another to make a stencil on my paper.  I taped this to the bottom of my shorts and started to cut out the scallops:

After cutting the scallops I traced the edge with Fray Check to prevent fraying (you can see that these were already starting to fray).  The Fray Check takes some time to dry...

Here's my final product, still with somewhat damp edges. 
I'm quite happy with myself over these.

J Crew: $118.00
Laura: $8.00

Cha-ching

2 comments:

  1. Laura, you're a genius! These are adorable :) If only I had the patience!

    <3
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shorts look awesome! I made one for myself too, I would be glad if you check it out on my blog :)

    http://funandoblivious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Show me love, Show me Life