Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Bubble Tea

Friends, I am sick sick sick, barely able to think let alone type.  The most enjoyable moments of the past few days in bed have been whenever it involves ice-cream or frozen yogurt, soothing my throat and sinuses, or when I'm in the shower & soak so long I actually don't feel sick. I wish that someone was available to fly up to NYC and bring me back some of my favorite: bubble tea. 

From Wiki:
Bubble tea, also known as pearl milk tea, boba milk tea, or boba is a Taiwanese tea-based drink invented in tea shops in Taichung, Taiwan, during the 1980s.[1] Most bubble tea recipes contain a tea base mixed with fruit or milk. Ice-blended versions are usually mixed with fruit or syrup, resulting in a slushy consistency. Most bubble teas come with small chewy tapioca balls (粉圓, fěnyuán), commonly called "pearls" (珍珠, zhēnzhū) or "boba" (波霸, bōbà).[2]


(on canal,and bowery)



My favorite flavor is Tarot (which is actually a sweet potato), but almond is delicious as well.   Unfortunately, Charleston has not jumped on the bubble tea train yet...though you can buy a semi-bubbly milkshake type version downtown at Caviar and Bananas.  Someone, take me to Chinatown, or atleast take away this cold. or both.

5 comments:

  1. I was googling bubble tea in Charleston and your blog post came up. There's a coffee shop in Summerville (Single Smile Cafe) that does a few flavors of blended or milk bubble tea, and downtown I heard that the Chinese takeout joint on Society Street has bubble tea as well. I first fell in love with honeydew bubble tea in Boston's Chinatown, and haven't had it as good here in Charleston since. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations! I rarely make it up to Summerville so this may be the perfect excuse. I've never tried the honeydew but boy that sounds refreshing!

      Delete
  2. chopstick house downtown and mei Thai in north charleston both have bubble tea... just got to know where to look in Charleston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    If you are still in the Charleston area, I have some news that you may enjoy.

    I will be bringing authentic Taiwanese bubble tea to Charleston soon!

    Shoot me an email and I will keep you posted on the progress!
    Email: terrymhung@gmail.com

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Show me love, Show me Life