Monday, February 11, 2013

Healthy Living Survey & Challenge

Hey Hey, Thanks Christina for the survey...
It really got me thinking, answering these questions (especially # 9).  It has, in part, inspired me to challenge my cooking and eating routine, which I'll share after the post... 
Here goes:

1. What did you eat for breakfast?
A yoplait Greek peach.

2. How much water do you drink a day?
About 40 oz.  There is certainly room for improvement here!

3. What is your current favorite workout?
Body Combat class, no doubt!  I love all of the Les Mills classes.  I'm also looking into a Barre class next time I spot a groupon.

4. How many calories do you eat daily?
When I'm trying to cut back, around 1400/1500; for maintenance around 1900.

5. Favorite healthy snacks:
frozen yogurt, salsa, light string cheese

6. What do you usually eat for lunch?
Typically a handful of nuts, an apple, cheese and crackers.  I'm an "eat small snacks through out the work day" kind of gal.  A little something every hour or so is what keeps me going.  I do not take lunch breaks.

7. What is your favorite body part to strength train?
 My legs and abs.

8. What is your least favorite body part to strength train?
 shoulders and back.

9. What are your ‘bad’ food cravings? **
((Is it a bad sign that this was my favorite question to answer??))
Fried onion rings, anything topped with bacon and cheese, buttery breads, gourmet chocolates and fresh whipped cream.  Anything indulgent and absolutely decadent.

10. Do you take vitamins or supplements?
No, though I am very open to recommendations!

11. How often do you eat out?
Twice a week at the most, this is both a diet and financial commitment.



12. Do you eat fast food?
Chic-fil-a, and the occasional (maybe once a quarter) Taco Bell fourth meal (I know, I know) or Bojangle's breakfast biscuit.

13. Who is your biggest supporter?
K, my family, friends... I feel surrounded by support.

14. Do you have a gym membership?
Team Golds!

15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
9, oh sleep is my favorite :)

16. Do you have a ‘cheat’ day?
Definitely, I'm a big believer in the 80-20 rule.

17. Do you drink alcohol?
Yes, I love white wine, amber beers, and tequila. straight up.


18. Do you have a workout buddy?
Yes and no.  Several friends belong to Golds and we frequent the same classes, which I love!, but we rarely coordinate unless planning to grab coffee or something after...


19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a Healthy Lifestyle?
"I feel better, I look better, and I’m more confident."  no change from Christina's answer here.



20. What is the last healthy thing you did? Used skim milk in my coffee instead of half and half this morning....it's all about little adjustments for me. 

**Focusing on my cravings, well it really got me thinking.  As I've mentioned before, I try hard to cook balanced meals but I'm also a creature of comfort.  I'm not into citrus flavors or vinaigrettes- I like buttery, creamy, cheesy.  And if I'm being honest, I rely too much on processed foods: boxed mac&cheese, rice-a-roni, jarred pasta sauces.  I'm not horrible with this, but most of my weeknight meals consist of one pre-packaged element.  So, this brings me to my challenge.  I want to perfect some of my favorite side dishes without using processed or packaged items.  I want to make stove top mac n cheese without a powder or packet!  I want to use tomatoes and spices for spaghetti, not Prego!
This is my challenge: Create the dishes I love that come in a box, without the box.  Essentially I will  Think Outside of the Box.
My goal with this is to reduce some of the cravings that I have for such unhealthy food.  I know that these cravings are due in some way to eating processed foods.  For instance, if I grab a a Boberry biscuit on a Saturday morning,  I will most certainly crave more junk throughout the day.  However, when I start my day with fresh fruit or oatmeal, I find it much easier to stay on track.  I know that I will resort to these kinds of foods on occasion, and I won't ever feel bad about it, but I want to make the effort to try to make it more the exception than the rule!  Perhaps this will help my "bad" foods become just a little less bad...  We'll see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me love, Show me Life