Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cauliflower Crust Success!

Happy Thursday bloggy people!
As I mentioned before, I've been cooking and eating low carb 3 nights a week.
This is extremely difficult for me because my own personal food pyramid is built primarily out of "Italian Food" (pasta, breads, and pizza!).
K does not share my love of pizza at all, so I took advantage of his night out with friends last night to try my hand at Cauliflower Pizza Crust.
I didn't think this would turn out, at all. I was actually documenting the step-by-step in anticipation of writing a "Cauliflower Crust Fail" post today. But wouldn't ya know it, it worked! If you aren't a pizza fanatic, then you won't want to make this as I'm sure you'd be underwhelmed. It's a recipe for those of us that LOVE pizza but are looking for more veg/less carb.
Here is what I did if you're interested in trying it out!

What you need:
1 bag of frozen cauliflower florets
2 cups of cheese
2 eggs
Seasoning: Garlic, Oregano, whatever you want.
Pizza Toppings: Again, whatever you want. (I went safe with marinara, mozz, and pep)

What you do:
Preheat your oven to 450.
The first step is to thaw out your cauliflower and turn it into "Rice".
To do this, I used my blender.
It's recommended by several recipes to use a food processor, but since I do not own one, blender baby!
I put all of my cauliflower into the blender and then filled it with water.
I blended until smooth and then took a clean dish cloth and poured the cauliflower puree into it.  I didn't get a photo of this, but I lined my colander with the cloth so that it wouldn't go everywhere.
I pulled the cloth together and started to ring it out.
It's amazing how much water comes out! 
Here is what it should look like:
Next: Mix in a cup of your cheese, 2 eggs, and any seasoning you'd like.
(I chose cheddar because it makes everything better!)
Here you go:
Note* It's important to grease your pizza pan or foil. 
Spread out your dough.  I was extremely skeptical at this point because the dough is so moist, even after wringing it out.  But I soldiered on.
Bake at 450' for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.  
Mine took about 15 minutes until I was satisfied with the crispness.
 
Ready for toppings!
Like I said, I played it safe with mozz and pep, but next time I'll go Hawaiian.
(This is where you use your 2nd cup of cheese)
Pop it back in the oven on broil for about 5 minutes.
Drumroll....
Sturdy enough to eat with your hands!
Now, you can tell it's cauliflower, not bread, but the cheese and egg make it "crusty" enough to forget.  
So friends,
Go forth and pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me love, Show me Life