Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Condo Closing

Last week I sold my James Island condo.  
I purchased it in 2009, less than a year after graduating at College of Charleston.  I still remember the first night I got the keys, feeling so excited and proud.  I remember painting the crown molding that my Dad would install....yardsales every Saturday to look for furniture steals.  I remember finding this lantern pendant at World Market and thinking it would add such a whimsical flair to my dining room.  I'm sure it will be the first thing the new owner replaces, but for me it was perfect.
--
The girls and I have spent a good bit of time over there these last 2 months, getting things ready for the sale.   They loved having free reign of the place with no furniture and I love thinking about those days "before you were born".

I decided it was the right time to sell for a few reasons.  We were lucky with having one reliable tenant for the last 4 years.  I didn't love being a landlord, and when their lease ended COVID began. This made me realize we were going to have a hard time finding someone to move in, and absorbing the mortgage wasn't something we wanted to do indefinitely.   Realizing the inventory in our price point was very low on James Island, we decided to sell.  We were under contract in less than 2 days!  If your family is from Old Charleston, I'm sure you have real estate regret stories, because the market here since Hugo has been insane (especially over the last 15 years).  So there an impulse to hold onto property, a sort of hesitancy to wait and see just how high the market will go.  But selling right now gives us a financial freedom we wouldn't otherwise have, and with two young kids I like to simplify as much as I can.    
--
I am so excited for the person who bought it and hope they love living there as much as I did.  It was the perfect starter home for me and I will cherish my years owning it.  Having something to focus on during these last few months has also been invaluable to my sanity.  It's just all worked out so well and I'll forever be grateful for the whole experience.
xLaura

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me love, Show me Life